Helping parents empower themselves and their special needs children in school and in life.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
What Do You Mean Advocate?
All children need someone who will be their spokesperson, protector, guide and cheerleader. As parents, we have the ability to help our children and speak out for them when they cannot. This is especially true of special needs children who have an even smaller platform to express their needs and wants. As the parent of a special needs child, I fully understand the heartbreak of having to watch your child struggle at school, in social situations, in public and even at home. Determined to be the best advocate for my son, whenever and wherever he may need it, I went on a search. I searched for information about his diagnosis, about treatments that may help, about obstacles we may encounter once he got to school age, which doctors to see, what questions to ask, laws regarding special education; you name it, I looked it up. I couldn't believe there was no one to help you through this daunting process. I've seen too many parents struggling and desperately seeking help from anyone they could find to help them learn how to help their own child. While many folks really want to help; their advice may not be the best or the most accurate. My goal is to help educate parents on various topics such as diagnoses, treatments, schools, social situations, home life, etc. and hope this helps give you a starting point that will eventually lead you to success. While the road is long, if you persevere, good things will happen. That doesn't mean there won't be bumps in the road on that path to success, but hopefully I can help you get there relatively unscathed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment